Sunday, March 8, 2015

Dia Internacional de la Mujer

It's International Women's Day, and Santiago is stepping up.  There are all sorts of events happening around town that are being advertised on large banners everywhere.  Here are a few of them that we saw....

"I am woman: a gathering for us women in Providencia"
 (Providencia is the name of the neighborhood we live in)

Festival of films directed by women

A more generic sign about International Women's Day
Tomorrow night there's a concert of music by Chilean women which I'm planning to attend.  I was reminded that one year ago I participated in the annual Jazz Celebration of music by Robert Storms in Bellingham, WA.  Last year he arranged the concert to take place on International Women's Day and featured various prominent women in jazz and.... uh... me!  Though I lacked the proper jazz credentials, I was very honored to participate and I showcased two of Bob's ragtime pieces for piano in addition to playing on a couple of jazz tunes.  Fun memories!

Here's the YouTube video of my performance from that concert: West Coast Rag by Robert Storms.  This year's concert in Bellingham (Jazz Celebration VII) is taking place a week from now on March 15.  Sure wish we could be there for it this time!  We heard rumors that after the concert there will be a swing dance with the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra....

Meanwhile, the other banner that we saw plastered around the city yesterday has nothing to do with International Women's Day--it's the advertisement for this year's season at the Municipal Theater of Santiago.  I got a kick out of it though, because, well......


.... the performances being offered are OPERA!  BALLET!  CONCERTS! and ..... PIANISTS!!

Because us pianists.... well, we deserve a whole category unto ourselves.  We're just special like that.  And that is all I have to say about that.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment