Monday, April 13, 2015

Sent packing

Wow, is it really over?  I feel like we just arrived!  And with all warm fuzzies I got this week hanging out with really spectacular people, I feel like this is a place I could stay for much, much longer.   But time marches on.

On Saturday I realized I wouldn't be practicing any more on THE BEAST so I put it in the box, ready to go.

In fact, even by Friday I had about half of our stuff already packed, and we've been chipping away at the cleaning over the last few days.... wiping scuff marks off the walls, cleaning under beds, etc.

After bidding farewell to San Cristobal later this morning, I'm going to also say good-bye to some pretty awesome companions... my Keens.


I bought these suckers in 2002 and since then have worn them--well, ok, I can't realistically say every day--but I'm going to say every other day all winter, every winter.  In addition I've worn them for nearly every hike, and also as my rain galoshes in any season.  I've replaced the laces, had them glued back together several times, scrubbed them down when I got stuck ankle deep in mud....  basically they've been put through their paces and have been trusty workhorses.  However, they've reached the point of no return.  They are no longer water proof, and the seams are coming undone everywhere.  I'm actually hoping that they don't self destruct on this last hike.  

Between losing the shoes and various other items that have given out in one way or another since we arrived, we're hoping that we'll create enough space in the luggage to bring back a few souvenirs that we picked up.  Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment