Monday, October 1, 2012

Johannesburg

When I first got my rerouted itinerary through Lagos, I had forwarded that on to our hosts in Zimbabwe so they would know what was going on.  (Our Zim host's brother--who lives in Johannesburg--had kindly agreed to put us up for the night in between our arrival and when we left for Bulawayo the next morning).  Unfortunately my time in the Atlanta airport was so rushed that I didn't have time to sent them a proper message letting them know that I had made the original flight after all.  I didn't think this would change the overall plan much because Gail, who I was to meet and travel with from Atlanta, was still going to be on the original flight and would need the Johannesburg accommodations anyway.  When I met with Gail on the plane just before leaving Atlanta, I asked her to quickly email them while I was getting myself settled in, to let them know I had made it to the flight.  She did this, but her message--that we were traveling together from Atlanta--was interpreted to mean that we were both on the crazy itinerary through Lagos and that we wouldn't need a night in Jburg after all.  At any rate, naturally we didn't then have a ride when we got in.

After waiting for awhile in the Johannesburg airport and discovering that neither our phones nor the wifi worked there, we figured out a way to call them by waiting in line to change some money and calling from the public pay phone.  We hadn't changed any money in advance because we didn't figure we'd really have the opportunity to spend any money in South Africa before proceeding on to Zim.  At any rate, once we called, David (Helen's brother) came and picked us up and took us to their beautiful guest house.  Just a couple of hours before we arrived, the power had blown in several buildings right around there.  So we were sort of "camping in luxury."  The guest house was absolutely gorgeous and luxurious and there were candles all around for us.  It was rather lovely.  We were exhausted and went to bed with about nine hours until we had to get up for our morning flight.  I'd say we slept a good number of those hours and woke up feeling rested and happy.  In the morning we got to see the spectacular grounds of the guest house and there was a lovely breakfast for us there before David came to collect us and take us back to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment