Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pgh - DC bike trip day 2

We had to leave Pittsburgh with all eight of us, all our luggage, a ton of food for the week,  bedding and pillows for our Historic Lockhouse nights, four adult bikes, two tagalongs, Sierra's bike, and two scooters, all in the van at once. I'm not sure how we did it, but we did!

Paul still wasn't up for riding, but the girls rode on tagalongs for the first 17 miles from Connellsville to Ohiopyle and did great. They both took a break after that and rode in the van to Confluence, 10 miles further, but then Sierra wanted a stint on her own bike. I was in an enormous amount of pain, both because my bum was sore, but primarily because my knees were really bothering me. That coupled with the fact that I had some sort of seasonal allergy being out there in the pollen that was making me cough incessantly to the point that I felt like I was choking. I decided to not ride all the way to the 60 mile goal that day.  Jonathan and Sheena were strong and continued on at a good pace. I rode with Sierra at her pace (actually, I had to work to keep up with her!) for the next 3or 4 miles and then we both got in the van and rode to Rockwood where we were meeting Sheena and Jonathan for supper. 

There were several nice looking B&Bs right there and we were wishing we'd made the reservation for there instead of on ahead in Meyersdale. Some of these places don't advertise on the web, though, so it's really hard to know unless you've been there. Now we know, I guess. There was also a bike shop there that was closing right as we all arrived. 

We had an awesome picnic by the gazebo, complete with fresh "strawberry jam" (fresh strawberries mashed up with a fork on a paper plate.  Sheena and Jonathan rode the last 10 miles to Meyersdale and straight to our place there--Yoder's Hotel. We car people made a detour in Rockwood to get ice cream for the girls--only to find out that there's an ice cream place right across from our hotel!

No comments:

Post a Comment